Thursday, July 24, 2008

Poker Strategy Change - When To Leave A Table

I’m constantly trying to improve my approach to playing poker online and have been fortunate enough to have received some instructive and insightful comments here on a few of my posts. One of my strategies that I’ve mentioned in the past is leaving the table whenever I make a profit. I’m aware of the downside of doing this but it came down to a money management decision to arrest a long losing streak.

A recent comment by Epoh began a process of questioning this tactic and then I came across another piece on the subject using an example that has struck home with great force.

Essentially, the example asks you to imagine that you are multi-tabling 2 tables. At 1 table you are playing against complete poker novices and at the other one you are playing at the best poker players in the world. Now, using my strategy, I am more likely to play against the novices for a short time while I would be resigned to playing against the professionals for considerably longer (as long as it takes for me to lose my money, I’d suggest). The obvious question follows, why on earth would I choose to play against people I am more likely to win against for only a short time and against people I am more likely to lose against for a long time?

When I read this it made such perfect sense. Of course I would rather play my poker against the weaker players. The smart thing to do is remain at a table until the dynamics of the table changes.

Add this to Epoh’s advice where he cautions against leaving potential goldmines behind and building the small stack into a large stack and I am more determined than ever to turn those short, modest sessions into larger, more lucrative sessions that take advantage of the weaker poker players at the table.

And so this brings me to another related aspect to all of this. I have to identify and acknowledge the stronger poker players at a given table. Being able to recognise those players who are playing good poker should be easy to do, but often I let pride and frustration cloud my opinion of the play of others. Being able to recognise the really good players – and then trying to avoid them – will greatly enhance my chances of being profitable.

Adopting a strategy of chasing the big winning session leads me to muse over what point I decide to take my winnings and leave the table. It comes down to 2 factors: time and quality of opponents.

Time: These days I have less time available to devote to playing poker online with my average nightly session (on those nights I CAN play) only around an hour or so. So the first factor that will rule when I take my profit is giving myself a cut-off time and when the time is reached, I close down my session for the day.

Opponent: If I have identified a particularly weak player or a particularly soft table I need to remain at the table as long as they are still playing. If a table is playing soft I will remain at the table until the dynamic changes as others stand up and sit down.

I wouldn’t mind hearing how others decide that it’s time to move from a table. Do you set yourself a profit target? A time limit? A feel for the quality of your opponents? Something else?

4 comments:

EvertonYorkie said...

When I sit down at a table I am looking for tables with a high average pot and high percentage of players which see the flop. You can guarantee that with a table that has above average for both of these, there will be at least one fish at the table.
When you sit at a table you have to identify the fish immediately, and stay at the table for at least as long as they are there. Even if the rest of the players are better than you, you should keep out of their way and play pots with the fish. I leave a table if I find myself being the worst player on the table, which isn't very often at the micro-stakes. Otherwise I stay until the worser players leave.

epoh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
epoh said...

I was just thinking that there are thousands of blogs on the web and generally, I don't post anything. Even EPOH is not the name I use to grind under.

Why do I post comments?

Because I think there are similarities between us. We are both from Sydney with families, working in account related field, playing micro on Party. Alot of my peers do not understand my obsession with playing poker at the micro stakes so my only outlet had been discussing plays with my 10 year old son.

Anyway, today I bought in on 2 tables at 25NL with $10 each. Not too long into it, I flop bottom set on one. Unfortunately, got stacked by someone holding middle set. You can't be afraid to push with a set. Lost $10

So reloaded, build back half of the loss then blew a big chunk with AJ v AQ. Eventually losing all when I pushed with a middle pocket pair. Lost $20 so far.

On the other table, I won about $40. Tally for night Win $20.

Now what's the point of this? My strategy (which I have never been able to enforce) had always been to leave when I lose half the buyin. This is because after a big hit, my mental concentration goes down and stupidity goes up as evidence by table 1 above.

On the flipside, when I am winning, I leave when I am too tired.

To be that better player, you have to FOLD, FOLD, FOLD. Who is the better player? the fish or the tag? Folding is the difference!!!

To be that better player, you have to adjust to different table dynamics. Mix up your styles as the table changes or reacts to your plays.

As you move higher, there are less and less fishes. Sometimes, I don't see a true fish for days. When one is sitting on your table, you can be sure all the better players are itching to be in the pot.

What I find are a mix of TAG, LAG, Rocks (mainly the minimum buyin), and NITs. Be observant as to who are what and stick to your strategy on how you deal with them. Don't be afraid of them, let them be afraid of you. Be in control, not controlled.

Also, do you recognise what your own style is? Even though a lot of people think they are playing TAG, they are not. They are actually NIT or Rocks. You must evaluate your own style constantly. I switch between playing small ball LAG and TAG as dynamics changes.

Damien said...

Thanks for the comments guys. Lots to think about and I'm appreciating the input. I've enjoyed some very interesting sessions over the last week, ups and downs but, fortunately more ups than downs.

I'm happy to report that I've been building my stake at the table to some success and have made bankroll progress. When I get more than a minute at a time, I'll be posting an update.