Sunday, July 20, 2008

Playing Poker with Patience

It 's a new beginning and I'm feeling like a new player at the Party Poker $10 NLHE tables with the attitude that I had when I began with only $30. Last post I explained that I was going back to basics and had set myself a short-term goal of building my bankroll back up to $200. Well, it turned out to be a far, far shorter-term goal than I expected with a couple of very profitable tables catapaulting me straight over the $200 mark.

This has made the 4th session in a row in which I have been profitable and the secret's not really a secret at all. I haven't done anything more than remained completely patient, which may also be equated to playing passive poker. I was careful to fold all but the strongest hands and then play them reasonably aggressively. Micro stakes poker tables are filled with over-aggressive players who believe middle or bottom pair is a strong enough hand to push other players off their hands.

By waiting until I hit sets, straights or even just TPTK I was able to put together a very profitable few days. A couple of good folds increased the confidence level - JJ & AK aren't the easiest hands to lay down, but I did so last night and was right to do so.

So it's more of the same for me in the foreseeable future as I try to keep my head together and not let the winning days go to my head.

I've reached my latest short-term goal so I will set myself a new short-term goal of reaching $210 in the next week.

Bankroll - $206.85

2 comments:

EvertonYorkie said...

Eh thats better, I told you that all you needed to do was move up, you had the bankroll and the skills, it was just a case of the confidence level.

Now go and destroy those micro-stakes fishes!

P.S I have a new blog, please can you replace it with the other one on your blogroll. Thanks

Damien said...

Hey Carl, thanks for the word and the support. All looking good again atm.

I've updated the link to your new blog. Looking good and nice to see you've managed to get on a winning run lately.

Damien