Friday, August 8, 2008

When Weak Is Strong

It has been around 2 weeks now since common sense overtook dumb poker and in that time I have won back all of the money I lost during May, June and half of July. There are two main factors that have contributed to my recent success, nothing surprising about them, really.

The first key to winning over the last 2 weeks has been the same important attribute that I have mentioned time and time again. Patience at the table has markedly stacked the odds in my favour. The second key is actually a flow-on effect that has directly stemmed from my patient game – and it’s something that I was unprepared for, to tell you the honest truth.

It’s the second factor that I find more interesting and certainly something that can be exploited at the micro table level.

As a result of being patient while waiting for the right hand, I have managed to project a weak image to the rest of the table. What I was viewing in myself as discipline when folding on the turn or when someone played back at me, others obviously took to be a sign of weakness. As my stay at a table lengthened, so did the number of times I was raised after betting. Initially the constant playing back of my bets was irritating. Short side note here: actually, what is most irritating is when you bet and someone immediately doubles the bet. At least put some thought into it, for crying out loud.

Nowadays, though I welcome it. Over the past two weeks I have sat quietly, looked weak, taken a few pots, done the disciplined thing and folded when I thought I was beaten, honoured the raise after the flop. That sort of thing.

Inevitably the cards have come. Last night my pocket J J connected on the flop to make a set and I was fortunate enough that my opponent, who had chased me out of pots earlier, held A J and aggressively allowed me to double up. A little later my pocket A’s connected again on the flop, another set and I was eventually All-In again (after checking the flop).

The bankroll is looking healthy again, but more importantly, my frame of mind is much more positive and I’m enjoying the sessions at Party Poker once again.

4 comments:

epoh said...

Hi Damien

Nice to hear that you found your confidence back.

It is very easy to slip back into the losing mode if you become too over confident in your ability. Remind yourself how you turned around this time if it ever happens again.

Another thing I noticed is that you stayed in the 5NL too long probably because you were too scared to move up. Don't be. You can only build your bankroll by moving up quickly. Ignore what you read about staying at one level until you reach x'ooo hands. The same approach works on 25NL and 50NL except there are less people to pay you off. But when they do, the reward is much greater. Moving up should be based on your BR such that the probability of ruin is low. If you hit a few bad days, don't be stubborn. Move back down until your BR reach the required level again.

Damien said...

Yep, you're quite right. Over-confidence could be an ever-present danger.

The plan is to move up to the next level when the bankroll allows. Had a losing night last night (probably shouldn't have had the Opening Ceremony on while I was playing). I'm putting it down to the losing night I had to have.

Unknown said...

Hey Damien. I just recently fond your blog and read it from the beginning.

I'm very impressed with how you have built your bankroll and your mindset at the table. Congrats.

I'm in the process of building my bankroll. I started at the $10NL and currently playing between $10 and $25NL.

My biggest weakness has been maintaining Tilt Control and bankroll management.

Don't know if you ever had read some of the posts attached but I found it very useful in helping my game and hopefully helps me move up the ladder.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=98125

Damien said...

Hi Michael

Thank very much for your comments, they're very much appreciated. Good luck as you continue to build your bankroll.

The twoplustwo forums are terrific aren't they.

The tilt control thing is a biggie, I reckon. You control your emotion and you're most of the way there.