Sunday, March 2, 2008

Loosen My Starting Hand At the Micro Stakes Level

I’m typically a very tight player, particularly for a member of the Party Poker micro stakes tables. But I’ve been schooling myself to open up a little bit and widen my starting hand range in order to maximise my opportunities of taking down a big pot.

My usual starting hands consist largely of AK – AJ, KQs, pocket pairs down to 66 and that’s about it. Not very adventurous and the action that comes my way is few and far between at times, but it has worked so far in moving my bankroll from $30 to over $200 in 5 months. I’m looking to loosen up a little so that I can make my game a little more unpredictable.

My new range of starting hands will include A anything suited, as well as any suited connector down to 8-7 and all pocket pairs. I figure I can get more creative with my play as well as the unpredictable aspect it will cause. The way I would be looking to play these hands would be to call small (3xBB) raises or, if no-one has raised yet, make the raise myself. A continuation bet will more often than not be the post-flop play but this will depend on any action before me.

When you play the same stakes limit cash games ($5 NLHE) at the same online venue (Party Poker) every night, you run the risk of becoming known to your opponents. Hell, with the help of Poker Tracker I know my opponents and the type of game they’re likely to play so there’s no reason to think that others don’t have the same read on me.

So I want to change things up, loosen my game and see how it works out. With any luck I won’t be woefully reporting that my bankroll has fallen below $200 the next time I update my progress.

Plus A Word of Advice

I have a small piece of advice that some of you may find useful, particularly new poker players who are trying to build up a bankroll. Playing winning poker is difficult enough with all sorts of pressure placed on you by other players at the table so the last thing you want to do is put added pressure on yourself .

Worrying about your bankroll while you’re playing is a big mistake. It’s distracting, will influence the decisions you make whilst in a hand – usually adversely – and generally make it harder to reach the goals you’ve set yourself. Play each hand on its merits and take your profits when they come and your bankroll should look after itself.

5 comments:

EvertonYorkie said...

After finding this blog yesterday it has become my favourite.
Mainly for the reason that it is the one that I can relate best to.
I am trying to build a BR at micro-limits as well, though haven't been as successful as you so far, lol. May steal a few of your goals if it is OK with you as I really feel it would help my BR to progress too.
I've added you to my blogroll, feel free to check out my blog and do the same :) .

http://evertonyorkie.ukpokerscene.co.uk

Damien said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Damien said...

Hey Carl

No worries at all. I'm glad you're getting something out of it. I'm as surprised as anyone that I'm actually making money playing poker using sound bankroll management.

Who'd have thunk it?

One Clever Monkey said...

Thanks for the great posts. I've been playing online low stakes poker for about 3 weeks with varied success. It is nice to read about other peoples' strategy, experience and thoughts.

Dave

badbeats.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

it's a really nice blog thanks for add my comment...

Great poker games offer you lots of poker games like texas hold'em, omaha poker, stud, draw, horse, killer queen and also provide you poker rooms, online poker games, poker strategy. Here you can play and enjoy all these games and offers with us.

So get ready for all these fun with greatpokergames.com.Great Poker Games